Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) Nonimmigrant Visa Classification is available for qualified citizens of a country which holds a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States. A qualifying company must be carrying on substantial trade (E-1) or have made substantial investments (E-2) in the United States. The nature and amount of the Trade or Investment is relative to the industry.

E classification is generally obtained through an application made by the company to a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad. Unlike many of the other nonimmigrant visa classifications, E visa applications are made directly with the U.S. Consulate or Embassy and do not involve an Immigration and Naturalization Service petition. Once the company is found eligible to sponsor employees for E classification, individual applicants who are nationals of the treaty country may make individual applications for E visa classification. Qualified applicants are offered positions for Managers, Executives and those with specialized knowledge. The visa is generally valid for five (5) years with entries to the U.S. of two (2) years. Specific reciprocity rules for each country may make visa issuance shorter.

Extensions of stay may be obtained through a filing with the Immigration and Naturalization Service and visa revalidations may be made through a new application with the U.S. Consulate or Embassy or through a visa revalidation filing with the Department of State.

Dependents are eligible for "E" nonimmigrant classification for the duration of the principal's classification. "E" spouses are also eligible to apply for work authorization.

Further information on Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors can be found at the Department of State Website.

Back to Articles

© 2023 Fuller & Fuller LLP | Attorney Advertising
845 Third Ave., Suite 1700, New York, NY 10022-6601
| Phone: 212. 317.0700

Services Overview | Nonimmigrant Visas | Lawful Permanent Residence | I-9 Compliance | Naturalization (U.S. Citizenship) | Links & Resources | About Us